Sourcebook for Central Australian Languages (1981):
Putijarra (A54 ) in Sourcebook for Central Australian Languages (1981).
- Names of the language and different spellings that have been used:
- Waanyi (Chadwick), Wanee (AL), Wanjee (AL), Wanji (AIAS, Osborne, Breen), Wa:nji (T, Osborne, Flint), Wanyi (SAW,Flint, Blake), Wanyee (AL)
- Classification of the language:
- Garawan (Karawan) Family, Wanyic group.
- Identification codes:
- Oates '73: 32
- AIAS: G.023
- Capell: G36
- Present number and distribution of speakers:
- Boulia, Cresswell Downs, Barkly Tablelands area.
- Milliken, 1972 -- 21
- Black, 1979 --
- Osborne, 1966 -- 3 who can "communicate effectively"
- Chadwick, 1973(?) -- "10 good informants"
- People who have worked intensively on the language:
- Osborne, Breen may continue analysis.
- Practical orthography:
- None established.
- Word lists:
- Grammar or sketch grammar:
- Material available on the language:
- Aguas, E.F. Waanyi field notes. 9p. (pMs 223, AIAS)
- Black, Paul. 1974-7. Field notes. (Ms 465, AIAS)
- Blake, Barry J. 1966. Report (to AIAS) on field trip Jul-Aug 1966. 2p. (Doc 66/430) (data on languages and informants of Pitta-Pitta, Ringa Ringa, Wangamana, Jalanga, Wagaja, Wanji,
- ---------- Waanyi field notes. 3p. (pMs 224, AIAS)
- Breen, J.G. 1967. Waanyi wordlist, Camooweal. 3p. xeroxed ms.
- ---------- Garawa and Waanyi language material. (about 100p. ms.) (Ms 1138, AIAS) (includes 18 hours of tape)
- Carlton, Maurice. 1966. Waanyi wordlists, Palm Island. 9p. xeroxed ms. (transcripts of short wordlist and some sentences)
- Flint, E.H. 1966. Wanyi elicitation material and text. 29p. ts. Brisbane. (AIAS) (material recorded at Doomadgee, text of conversation and translation, vocabulary of 570 words)
- Keen, Sandra (Newland). 1968. Phonetic script (of tapes). Normanton and Burketown. various pagings. (f 6046, pMs 228, AIAS). (wordlists and sentences of Gurdjar or Gunggara,
- Wikmunkan, Gugadji, Wangji, Lardil, Janjula, Garawa; names of informants)
- ---------- 1968. Report of a linguistic survey of the Normanton-Burketown area of north-west Queensland. 11p. ts. (AIAS)
- Osborne, C. 1966. Wanji elicitation material. 48p. ms. (material from Doomadgee, 548 phrases and sentences)
- ---------- 1966. Wanji elicited material. 23p. ms. (material from Doomadgee; 200 phrases and sentences) (AIAS)
- ---------- 1966. Wanji text 2. 13p. ms. (AIAS) (conversation between 2 speakers at Doomadgee, with interjections by other speakers in Garawa)
- ---------- 1966. A tentative description of the Wanji language. 58p. ms. map. (comparison between Wanji and Indjilandji, Garawa, Jugula) (material from Doomadgee. Phonology, grammar, 1000 short sentences, 800 words vocabulary, 3 short texts) (AIAS)
- ---------- 1976. Tape transcripts. (pMs 232, AIAS)
- Sutton, Peter J. Waanyi tape transcription. (pMs 229, AIAS)
- Tsunoda, Tasaku. Field work report (includes vocabularies). (Ms 709, AIAS)
- ---------- Tape transcript in Waanyi. (pMs 230, AIAS)
- Literacy material:
Kathy Menning (comp.) and David Nash (ed.) 1981. © IAD Press
AIATSIS gratefully acknowledges IAD Press for permission to use this material in AUSTLANG.