Handbook of Kimberley Languages (1988):
Konin (A35 ) in Handbook of Kimberley Languages (1988).
5.18 Gamberre / Gambre
- Names of the language and different spellings that have been used:
- Gambere (Hudson & McConvell), Gambera (Oates, Vaszolyi, SIL), Gambre (AIAS, Capell, Oates & Oates, O'Grady, Coate, Crawford), Gamgre, Guwan, Kambera (Hernandez), Kambre (Love), 'Kambure (Tindale)
- Classification of the language:
- Worrorran family, Wunambalic group
- Identification codes:
- AIAS: K39
- Oates 1973: 48.2
- Capell: K7
- Present number and distribution of speakers:
- Kalumburu Mission and Wyndham
- Oates - 6 old people
- People who have worked intensively on the language:
- No one
- Practical orthography:
- Word lists:
- Capell (1940), Capell & Coate (1984), SIL (1971)
- Textual material:
- Crawford (1969)
- Grammar or sketch grammar:
- None; Capell & Coate (1984) contains some information.
- Material available on the language:
- Capell, A. 1940. The classification of languages in north and north-west Australia. Oceania 10. 241-272, 404-433.
- _____ .1972. The languages of the northern Kimberley, W.A.: some structural principles. Oceania 43. 54-65.
- Capell, A. & Coate, H.H.J. 1984. Comparative studies in northern Kimberley languages. Canberra: PL, C-69.
- Crawford, I.M. 1969. Late prehistoric changes in Aboriginal cultures in Kimberley, Western Australia. PhD thesis, University of London.
- Glasgow, D.I., Hocking, F.M. & Steiner, W.L. nd. Report [to AIAS] on surveys of languages and dialects of the north-east Kimberleys. 9pp. typescript. AIAS.
- Summer Institute of Linguistics. 1971. AIAS word list for N.E. Kimberleys survey: Gambera. AIAS tapes A2188,2189. AIAS pMs 1800.
- Language programme:
- Language learning material:
- Literacy material:
McGregor, William. 1988 Handbook of Kimberley Languages. Canberra: Pacific Linguistics. © Author.
AIATSIS gratefully acknowledge William McGregor for permission to use his material in AUSTLANG.