Handbook of Kimberley Languages (1988):
Mangu (A34 ) in Handbook of Kimberley Languages (1988).
5.19 Kwini / Kunan / Gunin
- Names of the language and different spellings that have been used:
- Ginan (Capell & Coate), Goonan (Hudson & McConvell), Guna, Gunan (Capell), Gunin (Black, Black & Walsh, Oates, SIL, Lucich, Vaszolyi), Kunan (Taylor), Cuini, Gwini, Kuini (Perez), Kuwiyini (Taylor), Kwini (Love), Kwiini (Taylor), Kwiyini (Taylor), Pela?, Kalumburu, Wirngir.
- According to Oates (1975:57), Kunan is the name of the language or dialect, Kwini being the name of the people. This is not to be confused with Gooniyandi (Gunian), spoken in the Fitzroy Crossing region.
- Classification of the language:
- Worrorran family, Wunambalic group
- Identification codes:
- AIAS: K36, K41
- Oates 1973: 48.1b
- Capell: K7
- Present number and distribution of speakers:
- Kalumburu, Wyndham
- Oates (1970) - at least 50 adults at Kalumburu Mission speak Kwini as their first language
- People who have worked intensively on the language:
- Arthur Capell, during the late 1930s
- Practical orthography:
- Word lists:
- Capell (nd, 1940), Crawford (1982), Gil (1934a,), Peile (nd), SIL (1971)
- Textual material:
- Gil (1934b, 1934c)
- Grammar or sketch grammar:
- None; Capell & Coate (1984) contains some grammatical information.
- Material available on the language:
- Capell, A. 1939. The languages of the Northern Kimberley Division, W.A.. Mankind 2. 169-175.
- _____ .1940. The classification of languages in north and north-west Australia. Oceania 10. 241-272, 404-433.
- _____ .nd. Gwini-English vocabulary. 32pp. typescript. AIAS.
- Capell, A. & Coate, H.H.J. 1984. Comparative studies in northern Kimberley languages. Canberra: PL, C-69.
- Crawford, I.M. 1982. Traditional Aboriginal plant resources in the Kalumburu area: aspects in ethno-economics. Perth: Western Australian Museum.
- Gil, T. 1934a. A dictionary of the Pela language, used by the natives of the coastal regions of East Kimberley in W.A. typescript. AIAS MF 87. (A1;B5).
- _____ .1934b. A concise catechism of Christian doctrine; written in the "Pela" language. 11pp. typescript. AIAS MF 87. (A1;B5).
- _____ .1937c. Translation into Pela of "Short life of our lord". manuscript.
- Glasgow, D.I., Hocking, F.M. & Steiner, W.L. nd. Report [to AIAS] on surveys of languages and dialects of the north-east Kimberleys. 9pp. typescript.
- Peile, A.R. nd. Field notes Warayngari. 182pp. manuscript. AIAS Ms 322.
- Summer Institute of Linguistics. 1971. AIAS word list for N.E. Kimberleys survey: Kunin language. AIAS tapes A2177,2189. 18pp. AIAS pMs 1802.
- Language programme:
- Language learning material:
- Literacy material:
McGregor, William. 1988 Handbook of Kimberley Languages. Canberra: Pacific Linguistics. © Author.
AIATSIS gratefully acknowledge William McGregor for permission to use his material in AUSTLANG.