Art and Object collection
This collection reflects the diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural expression.
R01892.ATS569_004.Bagot Pottery cup with handle
Bagot Pottery cup with handle
[between 1967 and 1974]
Puruntatameri, Eddie, 1948-1995
Art - Artists - Men
Tiwi people N20
Skin Group: Takaringini (Ironwood)
Painted and glazed earthenware
5.5 x 10.5 x 9.5 cm (Irregular, largest dimensions)
Creation place / original location
Darwin (NT Top End SD52-04)
Gift of Janice Haynes, 2004
As part of co-operative research program into 'Aboriginal Traditional technology, skills, patterns and work habits carried out by the Department of Industrial Arts and The Research branch of the Northern Territory Administration, 1966 - 1974; was the establishment of an experimental pottery at Bagot, Darwin NT. The unit was known as The Ceramic Research Unit and as Bagot Pottery. Under the general direction of Professor L.M Haynes (1913 - 2000), Head of Industrial Arts, University of New South Wales, and Mr E.P. Milliken, Director of Research, Welfare Branch of the Northern Territory Administration. On December 1974, The Bagot Pottery was destroyed by Cyclone Tracy and the remaining equipment was transferred to Tiwi Pottery while the remaining pots were transferred to the Department of Industrial Arts.